Zoning Permits

Building and Zoning Permits

As you begin your new construction project you will need to call the Surry County Inspections department before any work is begun to verify what type of permits are required and to avoid any additional costs. 

If your project is located in downtown, follow this list of 5 steps towards your Certificate of Occupancy.  

When beginning this process, one or more of the following permits may be required for your project. The following applications are available for you to print and fill out ahead of time, so you can have them ready when coming to apply. 

First Step:
Zoning Permits -  In order to begin a building permit process, any project within the city limits or ETJ of Elkin,  needs to first obtain a zoning permit from that municipality prior to any issuance of a building permit from Surry County.  Please see Sarah Harris at the Elkin Town Hall for your zoning permit in Elkin, prior to going to the Surry county office for your building permit.  
Zoning Permit Page

Second Step:
Surry County Building Permit Application is available below. If you need assistance with filling out the applications, the Central Permitting staff will also have applications for a building permit available in the office and will be glad to assist you. 
Building Permit Application

Any further questions, please contact:
Sarah Harris
Planning Department

Mailing Address

Post Office Box 857 Elkin, North Carolina 28621

Street Address

226 North Bridge Street Elkin, North Carolina 28621

Facebook: Elkin NC, Explore Elkin  
Instagram: Elkintourismecdev   Twitter: #ExploreElkin,  #ElkinNC