Elkin's Main Street Advisory Board
If you are interested in downtown Elkin, North Carolina – we are glad you are visiting this section of the Town of Elkin's website. This is our online meeting place where we organize our activities, share ideas, and publicize our mission.
Our Main Street Advisory Board (MSAB) committee is comprised of 8 board members and representatives (ex-officio's) from the Town of Elkin (Main Street & Community Manager, and Secretary of the MSAB), the Yadkin Valley Chamber of Commerce (President) and Downtown Elkin, Inc (President). Our board members serve a 3-year term, but these terms can also be extended. All members must apply for the position and must be approved by the Elkin Board of Commissioners before serving on the board.
Anyone who has a passion for downtown Elkin can apply for a seat on the board once there is availability. You are expected to attend a required number of monthly meetings throughout the year, volunteer for committees, and be an active contributor to our projects and passions. We take our work seriously but enjoy the mission to improve our historic downtown experience!
If a position is not available, we gladly welcome volunteers and community members to attend our meetings and contribute ideas, so join us if you can each month. We meet every 3rd Thursday of each month at 9:00 am. Our meeting place is currently at the Yadkin Valley Chamber of Commerce office at 257 W Standard St in the Heritage Center board room.
We work together to make downtown Elkin interesting, vital, creative, aesthetically pleasing, and a place our community can enjoy. To see examples of our projects, click here.
The funds we use to reinvest in the downtown are from the Municipal Service District (MSD) tax fund. We use these funds to bring vitality back to the downtown in many ways, such as banners, landscaping, facade and mural grants, and funding events along Main Street. Our passion is saving historic buildings and finding ways to improve our downtown district, which is on the National Register of Historic Places.
In the past, the MSAB has offered annual 50/50 matching grants for downtown merchants or building owners. These are offered each spring, and the focus for improvements can change each year. In the past funding has been provided for back alley wall improvements, murals, or front facades. See our page on funding for more information.
Our MSAB meetings are open to the public and are scheduled on the 3rd Tuesday of every month. Meetings are at the Yadkin Valley Chamber of Commerce board room at the heritage center (257 Standard St) at 9:00 am. Please join us if you are interested in contributing to or learning more about our plans for downtown Elkin. Applications for any Town of Elkin board can be found here.
There are attendance requirements, and training for the NC Main Street Program is recommended if you join the board. Priority is given to business owners in downtown who apply, and residents of Elkin, but the requirement for the board states mainly that you must be passionate about downtown.
WE CURRENTLY HAVE ONE OPEN SEAT ON OUR BOARD TO FILL!
Current board members are:
- Beth Sumner-Wall (Chair),
- Kerri Ferrari (Vice Chair),
- Teresa Smith,
- T.J. Bledsoe,
- Claire St Cyr,
- Shannon Lazar,
- Jeremy Stamps,
- OPEN SEAT
- Explore Elkin representative: Brittany Russell
- Town Commissioner representative: Cicely McCulloch
Also, three Ex-officio members are on the board: Main Street & Community Manager, Laura Gaylord (Secretary); President of the Yadkin Valley Chamber of Commerce; and President of Downtown Elkin Business Association, Tim DeHaan.
- Monica Ferrari (Landscaping and planting assistance/Master Gardener)
- Explore Elkin Volunteers (manning the booths and working behind the scenes for downtown events), and especially Natalie Eidson, Brittany Russell, and Brittany Rogers (2.0) for their organization and marketing skills.
- Jennifer White (previous board member) who helps organize events during Light up Night, along with Dan Butner of the Foothills Arts Center.
- Dan Butner and Brian Horton (previous board member) who helps us paint business wayfinding signs for downtown merchants.
- BETA Club at EHS for adopting Front St in downtown for litter pick up.
- The YV Garden Club for adopting Standards St for litter pick up.
- The Elkin Vine Line for sponsoring and planting 3 planters in downtown.
The main contact for further questions is Laura Gaylord, Main Street & Community Manager: email@example.com