Explore our Downtown for the day!
Things to do in downtown:
- Variety of restaurants
- Coffee shops
- Local art / art classes
- Music & wedding venues
- Heritage & Trails Center (visitors please drop in and say hello at 257 Standard St)
- Elkin Vine Line wine hopper based out of the Heritage Center (257 Standard St)
- Wine tasting location with Certified Sommelier (Wisdom Table)
- Outdoor Farmers Market (Saturdays 9-noon) from April thru November
- Dog park and pet-friendly restaurants and shops
- Boat ramp/launch (Crater Park) with nearby outfitters (kayak/canoe/float)
- Kids park (Crater Park)
- Public restrooms at linear park (115 W Main St)
- Library & post office
Downtown Elkin is famous for:
- Its charm
- History beginning in late 1800's as a textile mill town (Chatham Manufacturing/Chatham Blankets mostly known for making wool blankets for WWII & WWII soldiers), and as a furniture town (Vaughan-Bassett Furniture).
- Monthly Cruise Ins & music events (Food Truck Fridays and Downtown Block Parties)
- Murals (10+)
- Celebrating the arts (Foothills Arts Center, Reeves Music Theater, Downtown Music School)
- Centrally located in Yadkin Valley Wine Region (AVA)
- Being a trail town. Here are some of the trails you can explore in downtown:
- Our Main Street is directly along the NC Mountains-to-Sea Trail (MST)
- Downtown Elkin converges with the NC MST, the Overmountain Victory Trail, and the Yadkin River Blue Trail.
- Listed on the Blue Ridge Music Trail (Reeves Theater)
- Listed on the Blue Ridge Craft Trail
- Listed on the Appalachian Mural Trail
- Daniel Boone Trail marker next to Elkin Trail Town mural
- Civil War Trail
- Sonker Trail
- Kayak launch/docking 2 blocks from Main Street (dock and enjoy lunch downtown)!
- is wired for WiFi (unsecured for visitor use) and Fiber Optics for businesses
- offers electric car charging stations at two locations (at Town Hall, and Heritage & Trails Center )
Additional information about downtown:
- EVENT information, go to www.exploreelkin.com.
- OUR STATE article about Downtown Elkin, click here.
- SHOPS & RESTAURANTS list (printable) in downtown Elkin, click here.
- SOCIAL MEDIA links, please like Elkin Main Street's facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/ElkinMainStreet
- Our downtown district is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is a NC Main Street Accredited Community (since 1998) with a dedicated Main Street Manager and Advisory Board.
West Main St...
East Main St...