Explore our Downtown for the day!
Traveling? Make Elkin a stop along your journey!
Only minutes from I-77, downtown Elkin is the perfect stop while traveling. We're pedestrian friendly and also RV friendly. You'll find parking for RV's at our Heritage and Trails Center (257 Standard St) and up at the Elkin Town Hall parking lot (226 N Bridge St), both are one short block to Main Street. There are also 3 RV parks within minutes of our downtown, and the Heritage and Trails Center participates as a Harvest Host destination.
Downtown has two EV stations to charge your electric vehicle (at Town Hall and Heritage and Trails Center). Please enjoy a free charge at either location while you spend time enjoying a bite to eat, or shopping at numerous retail locations.
Pet friendly too! Many of our restaurants offer outdoor seating, perfect for those traveling with their pets. We also have a new dog park in downtown, so your pups can run off some steam. Some downtown shops also offer dog bowls filled with water and we have doggie waste stations on Main Street & Market Street if you'd like take them for a walk on a leash.
Things to do in downtown:
- Variety of restaurants
- Coffee shops
- Local art / art classes
- Mural hike
- Music & wedding venues
- Heritage & Trails Center (visitors please drop in and say hello at 257 Standard St)
- Elkin Vine Line wine hopper based out of the Heritage Center (257 Standard St)
- Wine tasting location with Certified Sommelier (Wisdom Table)
- Outdoor Farmers Market (Saturdays 9-noon) from April thru November
- Dog park and pet-friendly restaurants and shops
- Boat ramp/launch (Crater Park) with nearby outfitters (kayak/canoe/float)
- Kids park (Crater Park)
- Public restrooms at linear park (115 W Main St)
- Library & post office
Downtown Elkin is famous for:
- Its charm
- History beginning in late 1800's as a textile mill town (Chatham Manufacturing/Chatham Blankets mostly known for making wool blankets for WWI & WWII soldiers), and as a furniture town (Vaughan-Bassett Furniture).
- Monthly Cruise Ins & music events (Food Truck Fridays and Downtown Block Parties)
- Murals (10+)
- Celebrating the arts (Foothills Arts Center, Reeves Music Theater, Downtown Music School)
- Centrally located in Yadkin Valley Wine Region (AVA)
- Being a trail town. Here are some of the trails you can explore in downtown:
- Our Main Street is directly along the NC Mountains-to-Sea Trail (MST)
- Downtown Elkin converges with the NC MST, the Overmountain Victory Trail, and the Yadkin River Blue Trail.
- Listed on the Blue Ridge Music Trail (Reeves Theater)
- Listed on the Blue Ridge Craft Trail
- Listed on the Appalachian Mural Trail
- Daniel Boone Trail marker next to Elkin Trail Town mural
- Civil War Trail
- Sonker Trail
- Kayak launch/docking 2 blocks from Main Street (dock and enjoy lunch downtown)!
- is wired for WiFi (unsecured use) and Fiber Optics for businesses
- offers electric car charging stations at two locations (at Town Hall, and Heritage & Trails Center )
Additional information about downtown:
- EVENT information, go to www.exploreelkin.com.
- OUR STATE article about Downtown Elkin, click here.
- SHOPS & RESTAURANTS list (printable) in downtown Elkin, click here.
- SOCIAL MEDIA links, please like Elkin Main Street's facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/ElkinMainStreet
- Our downtown district is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is a NC Main Street Accredited Community (since 1998) with a dedicated Main Street Manager and Advisory Board.
West Main St...
East Main St...