Doing Business in Elkin
Steps to Starting a Business in Elkin
Thinking of starting a business in Elkin? We are ready to help!
Start your process off with one call, or call us directly about the topic you would like to find out more about........
Call Leslie at 336-258-8907, Economic Development
- For grants, incentives, microloan, small business start-up services
- For available locations in and around Elkin
- To find if the type of business you are wanting to start is allowed in your chosen location.
- To apply for a signage permit before purchasing or investing in a sign.
- Call Sarah first for a zoning permit (above)- letting the county building inspector know that your business is allowable in your location.
- Call the Surry County Building Inspections Department - to apply for a building permit; often if you are working with a licensed contractor they will complete this stage for you.
- Downloadable checklist for renovation.
- Restaurant and food prep inspections also occur at the County level.
- If you are looking specifically for a downtown location and enhanced downtown services or grant programs, our Main Street Manager can help you apply.
- Downloadable checklist for new businesses.
- When you are ready to open your business and need a fire inspection so you are ready to open your location to the public, call for an appointment.
- To set up your town utilities (water, garbage collection)