Current Job Openings (1):
(Posted Sept 27, 2018)
Employment Opportunity: Town of Elkin Fire Department
Type: Firefighter 1 (Full Time) Salary: $32,401
Benefits include the following: Vacation, Sick and Holiday Pay
Paid Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
State Retirement and 401k
General Description of Duties:
Under general direction, performs specialized firefighting work in driving a fire apparatus and performs general firefighting work in the combating, extinguishing, and prevention of fires; this position serves as a skilled fire fighter and fire equipment operator; performs related work as required.
- Drives fire apparatus to and from fire scenes in a safe manner.
- Operates engine pump valves and levers and observes gauges during firefighting operations to ensure that water pressure is correctly maintained.
- Inspects pumping apparatus, pump unit, tires, batteries, brakes, and other systems and parts of fire engine to determine that fire apparatus is correctly maintained.
- Cleans, services, maintains, and makes minor repairs to fire fighting vehicles and equipment.
- Forces entry into burning structures and searches for and rescues occupants.
- Participates in post-fire operations of cleaning and salvage.
- Maintains proper records on equipment and fire calls.
- Performs fire inspections to ensure compliance with the fire code.
- Attends lectures, studies manuals, and participates in fire drills to stay abreast of modern firefighting techniques and to maintain developed skills.
- Assist in keeping fire station in good condition by cleaning furniture, fixtures, and interior of station.
- Maintains and promotes positive community relations through the presentation of talks and speeches to civic clubs, groups, schools and organizations, as needed.
- Performs other duties as may be prescribed by the Fire Chief.
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school, supplemented with advanced courses and seminars in the fire service to include firefighting methods, first aid, fire prevention, and inspection methods.
Special Requirements: Possession of a valid Class B North Carolina driver’s license, NC EMT, Certification as a Level 2 fire fighter as required by the North Carolina Fire Commission, Certification as Level I fire inspector as required by the North Carolina Department of Insurance.
Applications can be obtained at the Elkin Fire Department, 304 North Front Street, Elkin, NC 28621 or online at http://www.elkinnc.org/. Position is open until October 12th at 5 PM.
The Town of Elkin is an equal opportunity employer.
The Town of Elkin will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in compliance with the American Disabilities Act.
Application for Town of Elkin Employment