Current Job Openings (1):
Planner – Elkin. Pop. 4,200. Division-head position reporting to the Economic Development Director; responsible for current and long-range planning; providing support to and attending all Planning Board and Board of Adjustment meetings; code enforcement and directing other planning related functions of the Town; assisting with economic development programs and special projects; staff liaison with the Elkin Municipal Airport and Airport Advisory Board. Both technical and administrative skills required to implement and advise Economic Development Director, Town Manager, Town Council, and advisory boards in standard planning, zoning, and code enforcement processes and procedures, as well as grant programs and policies related to the planning division. Position involves extensive public contact. Strong public relations skills required. A bachelor’s degree in planning or public administration, or a related field is required. Experience in urban planning or related field preferred. Starting salary $47,000 - DOQ. Application deadline is December 28,2018. For a copy of the job description and this ad visit Elkincorg. Submit resume and cover letter to: Brent Cornelison, Town Manager, Town of Elkin, 226 North Bridge Street, PO Box 857, Elkin, NC 28621. For further information, please call the Town Manager at (336)258-8901 or EDD at 336-258-8907. EOE.
CLASS TITLE: Planner
PURPOSE OF CLASS: Under general supervision, performs responsible professional duties in the areas of municipal planning, Housing and Community Development Block Grant administration, Planning Board, Board of Adjustment, the Elkin Public Library, the Elkin Municipal Airport, and other related work as required.
PRIMARY TASKS: Plans, organizes, and coordinates the Town’s overall planning and zoning program to include current and long-range planning, annexation administration, street naming and address assignment, zoning administration, and development management.
- Develops policies and procedures utilized in the implementation and coordination of the overall planning and community development program.
- Assists and works with various designated boards, commissions, and community groups.
- Researches issues and prepares and presents recommendations on various planning studies including land use, rezoning, subdivision development, and public facilities.
- Develops, implements, and administers planning and zoning policies, ordinances, and procedures.
- Participates and supervises the Town’s inspections, permitting, and code enforcement activities.
- Coordinates ADA program for the community.
- Reviews petitions and citizen complaints as to code enforcement.
- Responsible for grant writing and other non-municipal funding sources; manages grant programs.
- Submits staff recommendations, advice, and technical information on planning, zoning, and development issues including the airport.
- Provides same to Town Manager and Town Council with regard to changes and amendments to zoning ordinance, subdivision regulations, rezoning requests, and long-term planning concerns.
- Responds to citizen complaints, questions, and requests for information pertaining to zoning districts, yard setbacks, sign restrictions, and reviews.
- Performs other duties as may be prescribed by the Economic Development Director.
EQUIPMENT OPERATED: Calculator, computer, and other related office equipment.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: This position reports to the Economic Development Director.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Employee subject to the hazards associated with field work in site surveys performing planning and zoning activities including both inside and outside environments, in extreme hot and cold weather, and exposure to loud noises, vibrations, and traffic construction sites;must be able to perform all basic life operational functions; must be able to perform light work exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally; must possess the visual acuity to prepare and analyze data, visually inspect, read blueprints, use measuring devices, and read extensively.
QUALIFICATIONS OF CLASS:
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in city planning; preferably a master’s degree in city planning or closely related field.
Experience: A minimum of four years experience of an increasingly responsible nature in municipal planning and development, or other related area; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices pertaining to urban planning.
- Thorough knowledge of the philosophy underlying the laws and regulations pertaining to urban planning.
- Thorough knowledge of urban planning purposes, principles, and techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of urban planning and zoning legislation.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the framework of municipal government.
- Good knowledge of statutes, rules, and regulations relating to the community development.
- Good knowledge of quantitative methods and research techniques.
- Knowledge of the current literature, trends, and developments in the field of urban planning.
- Ability to prepare and present, in a clear and concise manner, oral and written reports.
- Ability to analyze complex planning problems and to present viable recommendations for their solution.
- Ability to deal effectively with the public and community groups concerned with municipal planning and community development.
- Ability to work under stressful and controversial conditions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, Town officials, and various groups and agencies.
- Physical ability to stand, walk, finger, grasp, talk, hear, and perform repetitive motions of wrist, hands, and/or fingers.
Special Requirements: Computer literate in word processing, database, computer mapping and graphics software;possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the State of North Carolina; certification by the American Institute of Certified Planners is desirable, but not required.
THE TOWN OF ELKIN IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, GENDER, RELIGION, AGE, OR NON-EMPLOYMENT RELATED DISABILITY IN EMPLOYMENT DECISIONS. In compliance with the American with Disabilities Act, the Town of Elkin will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities.