Current Job Openings (1):
1. (Posted May 29, 2018)
CLASS TITLE: General Laborer part-time position; 15-20 hours per week; seasonal Spring – Fall.
PURPOSE OF CLASS: Under general supervision, performs all functions associated semi-skilled landscape laborer.
PRIMARY TASKS: Any one position may not include all of the tasks listed, nor do the examples necessarily include all of the tasks performed. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Water downtown planters, Elkin Welcome Sign & Event Sign, and all other planned areas where plants and flowers are located around the downtown area.
- Provides general maintenance, trimming, mulching, pulling/spraying of weeds, within plant beds, planters, parking lots and along public downtown sidewalks, etc.
- Picks up trash from downtown receptacles weekly in the downtown district, and any other loose trash on district sidewalks, roadways, and gutters as needed. Cleans out cigarette butt receptacles in downtown.
- Mowing of town-owned areas downtown, grass long RR tracks, and any public parcels around the downtown district the Town maintains by agreement.
- Operates mowing and landscaping equipment, and town vehicles.
- Cleans public restrooms at Rock Façade Park and Farmers Market locations, and may at times be required to come in on a weekend or evening if a festival or event needs restroom or area maintenance..
- Must have knowledge of lawn and plant care, including being able to distinguish between plants and weeds; knowledge of planting techniques
- Must be able to climb and carry ladders to access maintenance needs in facilities such as the Rock Façade Park and Farmer’s Market shelter. Must be able to work efficiently and independently through required workload and tasks; working with self-initiative and attention to detail is desired.
- Performs related work as required and may include additional locations.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: This position reports to the Main Street and Community Manager, and when necessary other department heads or the Town Manager.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Must be able to work in adverse weather conditions and during early hours of day before businesses downtown open. Must be able to be dedicated weekly to duties from Spring (March/April) to Fall (November/December), at least 3 days per week. Must also be available to work on a weekend or evening if events scheduled in downtown have maintenance needs.
QUALIFICATIONS OF CLASS:
Education: Any combination and or experience equivalent to completion of the tenth grade and some experience in the performance of heavy manual work.
Experience: Entry level or combination of experience of heavy manual work, mowing and plant care.
Special Requirements: Must be able to lift or move up to 50 pounds for an extended period of time. Must be able to operate light and medium equipment; work with large and small objects, and be able to carry and climb up tall ladders. Must possess a valid North Carolina Driver’s license.
Special Note: This generic class specification gives a sound overview of the job class, its essential functions, and necessary job requirements.
The Town of Elkin is an equal opportunity employer.
The Town of Elkin will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in compliance with the American Disabilities Act.
Application is open until filled. Estimated start date July 1, 2018, or earlier if possible.
Application for Town of Elkin Employment